MUST (which stands for Malnutrition Universal Screening Tool) was first published in 2003, having been developed by the British Association for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition with support from the RNHA, the RCN and the British Dietetic Association.
Five key steps
The tool involved five key steps designed to:
- calculate an older person’s body mass index on a regular basis;
- measure any unplanned weight loss;
- assess the implications of particular diseases for the patient’s nutritional well-being;
- assess the potential risk of malnutrition; and
- work out a care plan that ensure the most appropriate diet for that individual.
The RNHA recommends use of the MUST tool because it believes that systematic observation through reliable, consistent techniques is indispensable in a nursing home environment.
Click here to view and download a full copy of MUST.